The Accelerated Shared Growth Initiative (ASGI SA)
The current economic strategy, which is focused on AsgiSA, is aimed at halving poverty and unemployment by 2014 and the skills shortage is identified in this strategy as a key barrier to achieving this target.
The strategy identified key measures for education and skills development to address the skills shortages, including:
● Achieving high levels of literacy and numeracy;
● Increasing mathematics and science high school graduates to 50 000 by 2008;
● Upgrading career guidance programmes;
● Upgrading FET colleges;
● Revamping ABET programmes.
● Other interventions include the development of an Employment Services system to align potential employers and employees.